Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Saga Begins

Yes, the title is a Weird Al reference. (If you don't get it, scroll down to the video at the end of this post.)

I'll start by introducing my family. Dash and I met in college in 2004 where we were both studying engineering. I thought he was cute and smart and sweet. He thought I was pretty and outgoing and wouldn't be interested in a guy like him. Then one October day as we were walking from linear algebra/differential equations to digital circuits, I asked what costume he was planning on wearing for Halloween. He said that his apartment and the apartment of girls across the hall were all dressing up as Star Wars characters. He was going to be as Han Solo. We started dating on November 7, and were married the following August. We have been married for nine years and couldn't be happier.

Right after graduation we welcomed our first youngling, Jax. He was quickly followed by his brother, Arix. Last year the Force blessed us with a little princess, Katiara.

Now that you have met the family, flash forward to the first week of June. I was sitting around, basking in the glory that is summer vacation, and I asked Jax what he thought our family should dress up as for Halloween this year. He wanted to be Anakin Skywalker from Clone Wars. That got the wheels turning.

I had been considering making family Jedi costumes for years (I've always wanted to be a Jedi), but it never seemed the right time. This year, it felt right. I decided to start on the kids' costumes so that I could learn from my mistakes before taking on mine and Dash's robes, which I wanted to be considerably nicer since we are not likely to grow any taller.

In the midst of my research, I learned of the Rebel Legion. The Rebel Legion is a sister legion to the world famous 501st. While the 501st takes Imerials, Sith and the like; the Rebel Legion is for Rebels, Jedi, and heroes in general. What started as a challenge to see if I could make a generic Jedi costume that would pass the Rebel Legions costuming standards will probably become much more.

In the mean time I have started this blog to track my progress and help me remember all of the resources that have gone/will go into each of these costumes.

May the Force be with you.

"Weird Al" Yankovic - The Saga Begins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved by the moderator.