Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lightsaber - Hilt

As of today, my hilt is complete! (Scroll down for parts list.)


Most of the pieces screw together, but I did need a few tools to finish it off. Namely, the 4-40 button head screw for the activation box needs a 1/16" allen wrench, and the 8-32 socket head screw for the Covertec wheel needs a 9/64" allen wrench. Of course I could not find our set of allen wrenches. So off I went to Home Depot.

I purchased the SAE Short Arm Hex Key Set (10-Piece) for $4.97+tax.

SAE Short Arm Hex Key Set (10-Piece)
I purchased this set for three reasons. 1) This set included the 1/16" and 9/64" wrenches I needed. 2) It was only five bucks. 3) The short wrenches will fit easily in a pouch on my belt so I can carry them with me in case I ever need to tighten something while on the road. That third one was more of a bonus, really.

The other tool I needed was a pair of round nose jewelry pliers. These can be found at any craft store (or Walmart) on the beads aisle for less than $10.

(click for larger image)
I used these to get that little bugger of a C-clip in place to hold the insert in the pommel. I have read that they are a pain to get in. It was a little difficult and took a few tries, but I got it in place and I highly doubt I will ever attempt to take it out. It certainly is never coming out on its own. I can't imagine trying to get it in without these pliers.


Finally, you may have noticed that I ordered a hole to be drilled and tapped for my blade retention screw, but I did not order the screw. The 8-32 x .3" anodized thumb screw that I want is on back order. This isn't a big deal to me. I'll order it with my blade, which won't be for a while yet.

Overall I am very happy. I love how the main section of the hilt turned out with the warlock gray powder coat stripes, activation box and anti vandal switch. Although, I was hoping the sun gold powder coating on the pommel, choke and blade holder would be a metallic gold. It is more metallic mustard yellow. This is not a criticism of the product. It looks very nice, it just isn't quite what I was hoping for. May be one day I will order the same parts in black or something. That is the beauty of the modular hilt system. I can switch out parts as often as I like. :)



My parts list is as follows (copied from Lightsaber page):

Hilt (Use the MHS Builder to choose your main hilt pieces.)
Hilt style 3
MHS choke style 3
MPS pommel style 4
MHSV1 Blade Holder Style 12
MPS insert style 7
MPS clip (C-clip)
Activation box style 9
16mm Anti Vandal Short Momentary White Ring Switch
2.1mm Power Jack
Kill plug style 5 (color: none)
4-40 Button Head Screw
Machined button for Covertec clip (a.k.a. Covertec wheel)
8-32 x 1/4" socket head screw
Covertec clip

Services - Powder Coat (Use the MHS Builder to order the powder coating.)
Pommel powder coating (PM41) - Sun Gold
Choke powder coating (CH31) - Sun Gold
Blade Holder powder coating (B122) - Sun Gold
Main body powder coating (SH33) - Warlock Gray

Services - Drilling
Box 9,10, and 17 Mounting holes service
Drill & Tap Hole - 8-32, covertec clip
Drill & Tap Hole - 8-32, blade retention screw

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved by the moderator.