Friday, August 28, 2015

Formal Jedi Concert Dress

I called this one the Jedi Concert Dress or John Williams Dress. I have a friend who looked it up and down and said, "Formal Jedi." I loved that.

The underdress is bleached premium muslin. It features a fitted bodice and full length skirt with tiers of ruffles. (Thank goodness for ruffler feet.) I cut the fabric strips for the ruffles on the bias so that I wouldn't have to hem them. It is awesomesauce. (In case you are wondering, there is a petticoat under there leftover from my wedding.)

The overdress is gray heather suiting from JoAnn. It is the same fabric I used for my Jedi tunic, just in a different color. I love this material! Though one does have to overcast the edges of every piece after cutting before sewing them together. Small price to pay. The bodice crosses in the front like a typical Jedi tunic. I made the sleeves extra long and wide to add more drama. The waist band is interfaced and closes with snaps. The skirt is mostly straight in the front with some gathers in the back. It opens in the front to show off the tiers of ruffles on the underdress. A clip was sewn into the waistband for attaching my lightsaber.

I designed it in my head a year ago when I found out that the local symphony was going to be performing a Star Wars concert featuring the music of John Williams. The goal was to make a Victorian/Jedi crossover. I'm super happy with how it turned out. It is so fun to wear; and, more than anything, it came out looking just like I pictured. :D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will appear once it has been approved by the moderator.